At long last, I finally managed to get something with this scene. After having almost re-modeled everything, and UV-unfolded the meshes properly, I found how much it was easy to paint the textures in Modo.
Here is it, realtime screenshot, directly from Barr’s nEngine :
Thanks to Jibifaak for the helping hand on Modo.
Yop, nothing to add. That’s all I wanted to say, in rememberance of the nice hours we spent with some friends, dueling in Stunt Car’ with two Amigas linked by a serial cable …
Subsequently, I quickly made a 3D track, remotely inspired by STR’s tracks.
Here’s how it looks like, screenshot in nEngine :
Ain’t it cool ?
Wouldn’t it be nice to make a simple Gravity Force clone, in 3D, with the latest & top-notch 3D/Physic engine ?
The main ship would look like that :
Just made a prop for Panzer Planet : a Steam Mainframe, ie a steam operated large scale computer.
Where’s the steam ? Where’s the computer ? No idea 🙂
Screenshots directly from the 3D engine, btw.
Thinking of a boss, at the end of level #0, I started to doodle.
I had the idea a kind of armoured bell, that would come in and out from a pit. Gotta define the sequence, with weak point and attack position.
Should not be too difficult …
In my valiant attempt to create a video game I came to design some levels, of course, and some enemies. Here is one of them, not looking specially mean. It’s a steam robot.
Edit : ‘refined it, the front wheel is smaller, ‘like it better 🙂
For some reasons, I had the opportunity to test the LUA language. I spent one evening on it, then switched to Squirrel (which is very close). What I appreciate the most with scripted languages is that the classic C++ turnaround loop (Stop — Debug — Compile — Link — Start) is made a lot easier.
I took a moment to see how basic scripting turns out in LUA, then practicing things like tables, list, sort, file IO, it ended up in this :
||Table / Linked list test : put values in a table, then in a list, display them.
Sort table of values : put randomized values in a table, sort it, and display it.
Bitmap output : throw RGB pixels in a binary file. This creates a RAW file, that you can open in Photoshop as long as you know its size & depth. The purpose of this was to be able to render a Mandelbrot figure to a file.
Mandelbrot fractal : using the previous routine, this sample simply computes the famous Mandelbrot figure. Left is the result.
Yesterday, I decided add a windowed output to a a very basic raytracer I started to write 2 years ago. I wanted to figure out how a renderer is built inside. It comes with the following features :
- unlimited pointlights
- load/save alias|wavefront mesh file
- load/save tga files
- un-efficient antialiasing, variable sampling rate
- no space partitionning strategy (hence VERY slow)
- bitmap manipulation(copy, box blur…)
- mesh manipulation(translate, scale, autofit…)
- Render window using SDL
Here’s a row output of that thing. Text stream …
Rrenderer::Rrenderer(512, 512) Rmesh::loadFileWavefront() found 861 points, 1674 triangles Rrenderer::loadFiles(), loaded 1 file(s) Rrenderer::computeNormals(), 1 mesh(es) Rrenderer::computeBoundingBoxes(), 1 mesh(es) Rrenderer::fitScene(0.750000), scale scene by (0.806781) Rrenderer::computeBoundingBoxes(), 1 mesh(es) Rrenderer::renderScene(), rendering ... line 511 Rrenderer::renderScene(), 8794 ray/polygon hit, 11520044 ray Rrenderer::renderScene(), ray casting accuracy : 0.076337 %
… and bitmap.
Things to implement, as soon as possible : a decent adaptative AA, shadow casting, a BSP, gouraud shading.
Get a snapshot here.